Patrol is a primary law enforcement function and embraces much more than the act of patrolling. It can range from traditional response to requests for service to alternate strategies for the delivery of police services.
There is currently 22 patrol officers and 6 sergeants that patrol the Village of Forest Park during three 8 hours shifts. A total of 7 part-time officers help supplement the patrol division during heavy call volume. In additional to these officers the department also employ’s 25 Auxiliary officers that help with traffic control and other patrol functions as needed.
Patrol Officers enforce all village and state laws to create a safe environment for the residents of Forest Park. The following is a description of the responsibilities for the patrol force:
- Preventive patrol oriented toward prevention of crimes and accidents, maintenance of public order and the discovery of hazards and delinquency-causing situations.
- Crime prevention activities.
- Respond to calls for service.
- Investigation of crimes, offenses, incidents and conditions, including arresting offenders.
- Traffic direction and control.
- Regulation of certain business or activities as required by law.
- Maintenance of public order.
- Provisions of emergency services.
- Development of relationships between citizens and the department.
- Reporting of information to appropriate organizational components.